Popular Posts

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Day 42: Fist Day of October

I'm absolutely loving this country more every single day. We woke up this morning and took the bus to class, which was history. Afterwards, Alex, Cate, her partner, and I had lunch in the canteen. I had noodles, which were good! (they were macaroni style) with vegetables and beef. They were sodium filled and absolutely delicious. Then we headed to theology at the Vietnam Center. When we finished with class, it was down pouring outside. I mean absolutely down pouring. Alex, Cate, and I were headed back to the dormitory, and while our original plans were to take a bus back, we decided to take a taxi. Since it was raining so hard, I put on my raincoat and walked into the rain to hail a taxi. And this is where my love for the country begins today.

After finally hailing a taxi, I held the door open while Cate and Alex ran through the rain to avoid getting wet. I hopped into the front seat, and the taxi driver tries to get me to take off my rain coat. I think this was because I was getting the seat wet, so he helped me get off and contain all of the rain to one spot of it. He then got out a towel and handed it to me so I could dry myself off as well as the rest of the car. On the way back to the dormitory, Cate decided she wanted to practice her numbers. The taxi driver, without even hesitating, begins to join in. He counts with us all the way to 20 and then helps us say the taxi fare. It was honestly the best taxi ride we have ever had and it's a shame we can't have that driver every time we need a taxi.

When I got back to the dormitory, I headed to the lounge. Vien came to set up for Survival Vietnamese, and so I helped her cut up the fruit. Whenever it's just the two of us we always have a good conversation that allows me to learn more about the culture. For example, I learned tonight that you own rights to the land and not the land itself. Vien also asked me when I was leaving the country, because she would really like to plan a trip to Cat Tien National Park before I leave since I told her I was interested in going. For Survival Vietnamese, we learned more about food and met some other students that attend Bach Khoa University. Bonus: Pizza from Domino's was provided along with mangoes, watermelon, and grapes.

After Survival Vietnamese, we attended the Bach Khoa English Club. We finally met some other people that live on our floor, such as the guy that is from Algeria. Not only that, but it was a great chance to meet other Vietnamese students. We played games with them as well as just talked about their lives here. For example, I asked them what university students did for fun on the weekends, and they told me that they hang out with their boyfriends and girlfriends. I asked them what they do if they don't have boyfriends and girlfriends, and they said that in that case they go out to eat with friends and head to karaoke. They asked me questions about what we do for fun on the weekends, why I chose to come to Vietnam, and questions about what we are studying here.

I also gave two of the Vietnamese partners some of the chocolate that my parents sent me. They seemed very excited, and I'm more excited to see what there are reactions are about it!

Every day is another learning opportunity and another day to explore the culture. Every one here is so nice and friendly, and they are all very interested in where we are from and what we are doing here. It's hard to believe that every day that passes is another day that brings the end of the program closer, but right now I am focused on doing more things like the Vietnamese do and continue to making Vietnamese friends.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this blog today!! You made me smile! It is so nice to hear that you are content there!

    ReplyDelete