Popular Posts

Monday, October 20, 2014

Day 61: Back from Dalat

We arrived back in HCMC this morning at 3:30. After getting off the bus we immediately took a cab back to the dormitory and went back to sleep. Here are some highlights from the trip:
  • going on an 11-hour motorbike tour of Dalat (seriously my favorite part about the whole trip!)
  • getting to visit a village where no tourists go, thanks to our tour
  • trying cricket
  • being in the fresh mountain air
  • having our tour guide order us a bunch of food at a local restaurant, which included frog, snake, and dog
  • going to a karaoke bar with our tour guide
  • going canyoning, which consisted of rappelling down waterfalls and sliding down rapids
  • deciding that Dalat is my favorite place we have visited so far
 
Post by Viet Challenge.

The wonderful view from our hotel room.

The city was surrounded by mountains!

View from the a mountainside.

Cricket farm pen, where the only thing keeping the crickets from getting out is the slippery tile at the top.

Crickets!


A plate of fried crickets, which had the consistency of sunflower seeds.
Mr. Rot, our hilarious tour guide.

A stand in the market that sells votives, or offerings for the dead. You can buy anything that you think your ancestors might need, including clothes, cars, phones, food, and USD.

A silk farm, which was very different from the (tourist) one we visited in Cambodia.

Elephant Waterfall

Mr. Rot explaining how coffee farming works.
After waking up for the day, I unpacked and did some homework. I decided that I really wasn't in the mood to sit at a street vendor and eat lunch, so I went to Co-Op and bought a pre-made meal. Usually I avoid these because a.) they need to be warmed up and b.) they're more expensive than street food but today I decided to try it. I ended up buying a small amount of sticky rice with pork (or maybe it was chicken) for 15,000d. The amount of food I got was probably 1/3 of the amount I would have gotten from a street vendor for only 5,000d cheaper.

I did some more homework, and then it was time for class. I came back from class and went with Kaley and Sophie to a vegetarian restaurant to get supper. We got there, I asked for a rice dish, and was told that they didn't have any left. There were only two things you could order, both of which had noodles. I decided to try my luck at the dormitory. When I got to the dormitory, I walked down the alleyway where the bot chien place is. The man who owns the stall was cleaning up, waved at me, and said hello. Nothing in the alleyway was open, so I went to the corn lady and had some corn.

It's crazy what a change in climate and elevation can do to your body. Besides being ridiculously sore from canyoning yesterday, my throat hurts and one of my ears feels it needs to pop. My face is also sunburnt from being outside all weekend. Hopefully in a few days I'll feel back to normal!

No comments:

Post a Comment