Popular Posts

Monday, October 27, 2014

Day 68: August 27, 2014

It's Monday, and if you've been paying attention, you know what that means: being awoken by music being played from outside. Not so bad, really, considering that I now use it to determine whether or not I'm behind schedule. Anyway, I headed to Vietnamese class this morning and was back at the dorm by 11am, so no room to complain.

Back at the dorm, I had to print off my poster for environmental science. Cate decided to come with me, and we walked to the University of Technology's campus because I knew that there was a print shop nearby. I now understand why the students here take the bus to class. When you're walking in this heat, it doesn't take very long to get worn out! We made it, though, and with the help of a Vietnamese I was able to print out my poster, in color and the correct size. For some details, this print shop is just a store on the side of the road with a few computers and multiple printers. You walk in, open your document on the computer, and it comes out of the printer. Really quite amazing, and just further proof that you can find literally anything on the side of the streets here. I was actually ready to walk back, but Cate said no way. I told her we could take a cab, but she had to pay for it. Sorry Cate!

After we made it back, I headed out to the courtyard to do some homework. There was no soccer games going on, and it was lunchtime, so I was expecting to actually get some work done. But let's be honest, that didn't happen. I met some kids from English club on the way down in the elevator, and thankfully they left for lunch so I could sit on the benches and do my readings. I stick out here, though, and soon another student from English club was sitting next to me, offering some fruit. It was super nice, and I don't mind talking to them (in fact, I absolutely love it and I would be upset if I wasn't talking to them) but after a few minutes I just really needed to do my work. He left soon enough, and I was able to get some work done before it began to rain.

I spent a few hours with Cate, during which she made me a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, and also headed to Co-Op to buy the thing you kick around for the game I played yesterday (I want to get good at it and be able to play with the Vietnamese!). Then it was off to environmental science class to present our posters. Cate decided to come with to see all of our projects, and we began the trek to the bus stop in the rain. Just as we approached the bus stop, we noticed that the bus we wanted was there. We began to run towards it, and we were pretty close to making it, when it began to take off. Thankfully, though, the driver saw us and stopped and waited for us. We got on the bus soaking wet, a little out of breath, and couldn't help but laugh at all that had just happened. Neither could the Vietnamese, and the bus was full of the sounds of their laughter as we tried to find a seat.

Most of the OU partners came to hear our presentations, which was actually pretty amazing of them. Afterwards, Summer and I went with them to get supper from a beef hotpot place. It was an absolute blast, and we decided to go get sweet soup after. We went to the same place Thao took me last week, and the guy there recognized us and waved. With so many of us, we ordered a tray this time so I was able to try one of everything. When we were all finished eating, Thao gave me a ride back to the dormitory.

Hotpot!

And of course sweet soup is for dessert.

We ordered a tray of sweet soup, aka one of everything.

And this would be after we demolished it. Sixteen sweet soups, eight people.
As I was headed to my room, I noticed there were some people in the community lounge. I poked my head in, and it was the English club working on their Halloween decorations. I decided to help again, and I spent a few hours with them. My relationship with English club is very hilarious, and Cate calls me the Queen of the English Club. The Vietnamese tonight even tried to use me as a way to advertise for more people to come help, and they talked about posting to Facebook that "a beautiful, long-legged American girl" was present. I honestly don't mind, simply because I'm getting a lot better at recognizing them around the dorm and it makes this place seem much more like a campus, even though I only live here. It's crazy to think that just as these friendships are starting to form they will soon end, so I try not to think about that too much. Thankfully, though, I know that I can see these people at least once a week when I head to their English club meetings. There's just something so great about recognizing some of the people you live with!

No comments:

Post a Comment