Popular Posts

Thursday, October 2, 2014

Day 43: October 2, 2014

Today was marked by yet another early morning that resulted in Vietnamese class. There's been a lot of commotion in the past few days about what is expected of us as students, so being greeted in class with a speech about how things are going to change wasn't exactly what I had in mind. It seems, though, that things will be changing for the better and if anything I learned that while we are experiencing a new culture the professors are also experiencing a new culture by teaching us.

After Vietnamese, where we were assigned a video project that involves us speaking to a native speaker, I headed to a coffee shop with Tori and Cate that was tucked away in an alley. As soon as we stepped off the street it felt as though we had been transported to France. The alleyway was brick and there plants hanging off of all of the buildings. I ordered a green apple and kiwi Italian soda and we spent a few hours there before heading back to Open.

Back at Open, we met up with Thao to get lunch. We went to a street vendor not to far from the dormitory and Brian, Uly, and Wilson also joined us. I had rice with green beans and pork meatballs for 20,000d. Then Thao and I headed to the canteen to practice Vietnamese and do some sociology homework. Around 3:00, we got on her motorbike and began the journey back to the dormitory.

Thao and I have a habit of getting ice cream after lunch, so we stopped at a park/amusement park. We walked around for a while, eating 5,000d ice cream cones, and I took in the sights. We passed men fishing from a pond, people exercising, university students relaxing, and someone who Thao told me was a celebrity. We made our way back to get her motorbike and she dropped me off at the dormitory just as it started to rain.

Service learning was also tonight, and tonight's topic was on piercings and tattoos. Afterwards, I came back to the dorm to finish some homework. I got a banh mi op la (egg banh mi) for supper, and as the lady at the coffee shop handed it to me she asked "Is this all you are going to eat?" Cultural differences, where this would be considered breakfast or a snack and not a meal. She probably thinks all of us Americans are slightly crazy.

I'm including the first video I made for my scholarship below. Enjoy!


1 comment: