Popular Posts

Monday, September 8, 2014

Day 19: September 8, 2014

This morning was not a pleasant one. The day started off at 6:30 when I had to wake up and get ready for class. Not only did I know that I had to get up early, but I also knew that my last class ended at 7:30. It was going to be a long day.

I headed outside with the other girls in our Vietnamese class and while we were waiting to get a taxi this loud music came blaring from the Bach Koa courtyard. We're not exactly sure what was going on, but there were students lined up by gender. Suddenly, they all started to sing and the Vietnam flag began to rise. Not sure if this is a tradition after Mid-Autumn Festival or not but it was definitely a sight.

To continue with our musical themed morning, the taxi driver put in a club mix. This is at 7:30 in the morning when all I want to be doing is sleeping. I'm not sure any of us enjoyed his music.

In Vietnamese class we went over our homework and then learned all of the pronouns used in the language. For example, there are different forms of "you" used when talking to a grandpa, grandma, parent's older brother, parent's older sister, parent's younger brother, parent's younger sister, your older brother, your older sister, friends, and your younger brother/sister. Talk about a lot of things to memorize!

So the thing that is actually really going to stink about Mondays is that Vietnamese ends at 9:30 but my environmental science class doesn't start until 5:30. That means I have a lot of time to sit around and do homework, or, in the case of today, take a nap in the library. The library is kind of strange compared to university libraries in the states. You have to check in, where you give them your ID, and they give you a key in return. This key is to a locker where you are then supposed to store you book bag. When you're done in the library, turn in the key and get your ID back.

Lunch was at a street vendor with Tori, Cristina, Brian, and Ulysses. They all had rice with tofu and I had rice with chicken. I also used the tremendous amount of time in between classes to talk to one of the partner students and get to know her better.

Thankfully, the environmental science class flew by and I was back at the dormitory by 8pm to finish up some homework for tomorrow. When I was done with homework, I decided that I should probably find something to eat. I knew that it can be hard to find things at weird hours here, but I decided to give it a shot. Walked through some alleyways and around a few blocks with no luck. Decided to check out the grocery store and decided the food court was too expensive. Went to the coffee shop to get a banh mi but they were closed. Went to the next coffee shop, where the people outside told me they had banh mi, but was told by the owner they do not serve banh mi. Walked across the street to some food vendors but didn't recognize what they were selling. Went back into the grocery store only to realize that it was closing soon and that all of the prepared meals were already gone. Then I remembered that we don't have a microwave so it really doesn't matter. Walked around the grocery store looking for prepackaged food only to decide it was too expensive. Realized that they only sell instant noodles and not instant rice or pasta or any simple meals. Was pointed at and stared at by many people. Walked back outside and, BOOM, there were street vendors back on the street. Came across a lady selling corn and decided it was a good thing I waited that long. So for supper I had roasted corn with herbs and chili sauce. Worth the wait.

This journey basically showed me that it can be nearly impossible to find cheap food in this city between the hours of 7:30 and 9:00, although that varies day to day. Around 9:00, however, the (what I call) "late night vendors" come out. They don't serve meals but serve snacks to the people who are headed out for the night. Better store that knowledge away for next time.

2 comments:

  1. Whenever you wanna find some cheap-street food, ask Vietnamese Partners. They're the best, I think :))
    We have 2 biggest-websites that people going and eating around the cities will share places and reviews. And you can easily find a cheap place for you between the hours of 7:30 and 9:00. We also have some cheap food until 12am or somewhere overnight. But usually we have noodles overnight rather than rice :D

    ReplyDelete