Popular Posts

Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Day 14: September 3, 2014

It's hard to believe that this journey started two weeks ago; it feels like I have been here much longer than that! I had history class this morning, where we learned about 13 kings of the Nguyen Dynasty and some stuff about Confucianism. Then I had a half hour break before the next class so I ate lunch at the canteen (cafeteria) at OU with Dan. We met a girl on the stairs who knew us, but we still don't know who she was, so we asked her to help us order lunch. For 20,000d I got chicken, rice, a small amount of vegetables, and soup.

Today was the first day of theology with Julio at the Loyola Vietnam Center. Since this class isn't at OU, we have to take a taxi there. We just went over what we should expect to learn but it seems like it will be a very interesting class. Each week we have to write a 1-page paper about the readings and our final will be a 8 to 10 page paper. There is a lot more writing this semester than I have ever had before!

When we got back to campus I attempted to do a little homework before going out to eat with Yen. She took me to a stall that some past Loyola students have liked. I had pork and rice with an egg for 23,000d and it was delicious. Although I do prefer the rice over noodles, I'm a little worried that rice is basically in all of my meals. That can't be good, can it?

Afterwards we went to get sweet soup, which is a Vietnamese dessert. I keep hearing about how all of the food here is healthy and good for you because it's so fresh, but the sweet soup we ordered had sweetened condensed milk in it. The coffee here is also made with it to sweeten it. I guess as long as I don't get sweet soup all of the time I should be okay. Not only did it have sweetened condensed milk, but it was made with shaved ice, which is something we are supposed to avoid. We are safe with cubed ice but not shaved since it is more than likely dirty water they froze themselves. Time will tell how I feel!

Today was also the first day I've had to do laundry. They do laundry on the first floor of the dormitory, so you just put you name and phone number on the bag and they text you when they have washed, dried, and folded it. Talk about a deal!

It's off for some more poor attempts at homework. Thankfully I only have one class tomorrow so I can do most of it then.

1 comment:

  1. Hang in there, Ash! It seems like you have barely had a chance to get into a routine! I think your time will go faster once you establish a routine! (Not that you probably want your time to go TOO fast!!??)

    ReplyDelete